I’m sitting on my bed for the third day in a row.
I’m waiting for 5PM to hit so that I can finally close my 3DS. I’ve been ‘tanning’ my avatar in the latest entry of Nintendo’s long running Animal Crossing series, New Leaf. I put ‘tanning’ in scare quotes because the method doesn’t match my intention. Yes, I’m doing the the thing the game calls tanning, but my objective isn’t just darkening my avatar’s skin tone, it’s being able to see in the screen what I see in the mirror
With Father’s day fast approaching, I would like to send a shout out to the people typically ignored on days like this:
- To the people with abusive fathers
- To the people absentee fathers
- To the people who don’t know their fathers
- To the people who cut their fathers out of their lives
- To the people with conflicting feelings about father’s day because their own father was a piece of shit but other men they know and love are awesome dads
- To the people who learned how not to be a shitty dad by not doing what their father did
You are not alone. If you don’t want to celebrate father’s day or you don’t want to talk to your father, that’s perfectly fine. Do whatever it takes to make sure you are healthy and happy.
Saw an SA goon with a shitty dad who walked when he was a kid. He had the best solution: second mother’s day, she earned it.
If your mom was an asshole too, all parental holidays can become I Survived My Childhood Awareness Day where you buy yourself a nice dinner, get self-indulgent with the internal monologue with loads of compliments about the fact that you are incredibly badass for just coming out of that meat grinder with your heart intact. For added happiness, find some friends with similar issues and make a party of it. The strongest families are glued together from shards picked up off the floor, I sincerely believe that.